Today, Publishers Weekly broke the story:
My next book will be called SISTERS!
From the press release:
Raina Telgemeier has signed a two-book deal with Scholastic’s Graphix imprint….The first book, Sisters, will be a companion to the author’s 2010 Eisner Award winner, Smile (also published by Graphix). Sisters, which is set for 2014, will look at “the inner workings of [Telgemeier’s] family,” focusing on her relationship with her younger sister. The second book in the deal, which is currently untitled, will also be a graphic work.
SISTERS will be in stores on September 1, 2014. I’m working on the art as we speak! Enjoy a sneak peak, above, at a couple of my penciled panels.
I’m pretty excited about this book, and even more excited now that I’m able to share the title with all of you! Of course I’ll share more information here on my site when I’ve got it. Till then…hope you’re all staying warm!
Hey, Seattle! I’m coming your way soon!
March 1-3, I’ll be exhibiting at Emerald City Comicon!
I have a table in Artist Alley! That table number is…
ARTIST ALLEY TABLE # B-10
I’ll be selling books, t-shirts, and original art! If you want to meet me and get something signed, this is the place to find me most of the weekend.
I’m also participating in some programming! Both of these happen on Saturday, March 2.
RAISING A READER
Saturday, March 2
Room: ECCC KIDS! – ROOM 201
CBLDF Presents: Newbery Award winning Children’s book author and graphic novelist Jenni Holm (Babymouse series) discusses ways to get children excited about reading, encouraging creativity, and cultivating a love of literature and art, with a focus on great graphic novels and comics for younger readers. Raina Telgemeier and Dave Roman will join Jenni on the panel!
Saturday, March 2
Room: ECCC KIDS! – ROOM 201
Comics Quickfire! A fast-paced game show where volunteers are paired off with (or against) professional cartoonists in a series of fun-filled drawing challenges! Audience members will provide suggestions and add to the creation of totally improvised epic drawings! Featuring host Dave Roman (Astronaut Academy), Raina Telgemeier (Smile), Skottie Young (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz), Katie Cook (My Little Pony), John Green (Teen Boat), & more! Great for all ages!
Emerald City Comicon will be my ONLY Seattle appearance in 2013, so if you want to say hi, buy your show tickets soon! See you there!
Wow, I have a lot to catch up on! This has been a good winter for me so far. I’ve gotten a TON of work done (35 pages into drawing my new book!), and I have a bunch of neat things to share with you. Without further ado:
Photo by Lizette Serrano…look at my shiny sticker, and all my stars!
• At this year’s ALA Youth Media Awards, DRAMA received a Stonewall Book Award Honor! This is for a book with “exceptional merit relating to the gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender experience.” I’m so pleased and proud. Very many thanks to the Stonewall committee for this honor!
• ALA also released their yearly best-of and notables lists, and DRAMA was featured on a few of these, including YALSA’s Great Graphic Novels for Teens (Top Ten!), Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, and the Rainbow Project List. It was also selected as an ALSC Notable Children’s Book!
• A couple of weeks ago, Drama quietly slipped up to the #1 spot on the New York Times Graphic Books Bestseller list. Yow!! I have a feeling that had something to do with…
• This super-sweet audio piece on NPR, which not only recommends DRAMA, but even recorded voice actors performing some of the scenes in the book!! This is maybe the coolest thing ever.
• Oh, wait, no–THIS is the coolest thing. I got invited to be a guest at Reading Matters, a festival in Melbourne, Australia!!! That happens May 31-June 1 [ticket info is here], and I’ll be doing some events there and in Brisbane, too. I’ll post my full schedule here when I have it, but I look forward to meeting some Aussie readers in a few months!
• Finally, my first event of 2013 is coming right up. I’ll be at Emerald City Comicon in Seattle, March 1-3, in the Artist Alley. Seattle fans, I hope to see you! I’ll have books, t-shirts, and artwork on hand!
Whew! That’s all for me tonight! Hope you are all doing well!
Happy new year, everyone.
When I ran the DRAMAday contest back in September, one of the prizes was a chance to interview me live on the air on the show Comics Are Great–and the winner of this prize was 13-year-old Cassie! We recorded this a couple of weeks ago, and now you can watch the interview.
Cassie, Jerzy (the show’s host) and I talked about many things related to DRAMA–so if you’ve been curious about the characters, how the story ties into my own life, or what I think about when I’m writing, this may answer some of your questions!
For complete show notes (including links to all of the books, movies, and everything else we discuss, see the Comics Are Great website!